Thursday, August 11, 2005

Hermit

I would tell you of a hermit,
a practicing one of Benedictine tradition,
but attached to the Community of Passionate Priests.

Thomas Fascone, CPP, Hermit

He ministers to the homeless and anyone else he meets.
He is dispatched on missions world wide by both church and nation.
He is penniless -- and the richest person I know.

He is a friend -- he will be at my wedding!

He lives in Sacramento, CA -- 2750 miles away,
but as he willed that he should be at my side next week,
here is how it will happen.

He shared my wedding plans at a Thursday morning mass
at the Retreat Center of which I have spoken.
He announced that he should be at my side.

A stranger -- a brother of a friend just visiting
announced he had a return trip train ticket to Cincinnati, OH,
if that would help. Another parishioner offered that they had
a cousin with a trucking company in Ohio.
A phone call later and it was arranged that Thomas can catch a truck
to Louisville, KT. I have a friend here who drives a medical equipment supply route and can get him to Bristol, TN. That is only two hours away. He is leaving August 12th and will be here at Sakin'el on the 16th -- non-stop.

For his planned return he will hitch a ride with another wedding guest to Nashville, TN. There, a corporate jet of an old college friend of mine will get him to Phoenix, AR. He will take a 'gambler special' bus to Las Vegas where my brother Jon will pick him up (300 mile drive from Ely, NV) and drive him to Reno, NV. (480 miles). My ex-wife will drive up from Sacramento and get him. He will leave here August 20th and arrive home on the 23rd.

The total trip will be about 5900 miles. His expenses will be $27.50.
Somehow he will eat along the way -- he always does.

He is my friend. He will be at the wedding.

faucon




4 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Welcome! This is a story I can well believe...the kindness of strangers and friends alike...great reading...

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Welcome Ken. This story really warms my heart and encourages me. I am so pleased that you friend will be there to share your wedding day.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Karen said...

This is a pilgrimage of friendship, obviously, and the forces of the universe have blessed it.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Ashleyshea said...

You will most certainly have a blessed wedding day. The universe is obviously providing. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home