Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Not Alone



I left Crypt Lake but I didn't leave it alone.

Something followed me through the only path I could find, a tunnel that went on for miles, a tunnel lit by torches that burned steadily without giving off any heat.

I heard the sounds of dripping water, even though I never actually saw any water.
I heard footsteps and whispers...Urgent little conversations that stopped as soon as I drew near and no matter how many times I turned around suddenly or stopped and demanded out loud that whoever was there should show themselves...No one did and I alone in that false light.

For a few minutes anyway.

And the entire time I walked something was at my shoulder whispering to me and laughing.

When I came to the end of the tunnel I was at the Hermitage, I came through the gate and it hissed shut behind me, I saw people in the windows and walking in and out of buildings.

They were laughing and looked warm and slightly out of focus through my eyes.

Through my eyes which I'm now sure are a different color.

I put my hand up to the sunlight and examined it; it looked different, smaller and wider. My skin was pale instead of light brown and I could see the hair hanging over my shoulders wasn't long and dark anymore. It was shorter and looked dark red.

I turned my head from side to side and tried moving my arms and legs. I wasn't sure they'd do what I wanted for some reason.

So this is my new home for the next for days I thought in a voice I didn't recognize.

How strange... I don't remember much before my life at Crypt Lake.

But I know some things for certain: When I left Crypt Lake I didn't leave it alone and the smile that came to my new mouth with that realization was wide and sly.

I know that for certain too.

5 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I'm afraid I found this a stunning tale..the Hermit.

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Beyond stunning Anita Marie. Now I am really wondering just who has joined us in the Hermitage. I am sure that all will be revealed with the passage of time.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Believer said...

A trickster, perhaps. Not evil.
Sly--hmmmm. Mischief maker--supplier of butter-fingers, tripper on the soft lawn, personal rain cloud, bringer of laughter, sinister song singer, jig dancer, heel clicker, riddle maker, whisperer, spookster, BOO! yeller,
door slammer, fear tickler.

Look out Anita's here!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Karen said...

You always manage to surprise and tantalize me, Anita!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

Hi Guys!

Hmmm...who made the journey from Crypt Lake and is now roaming around the Hermitage?

That's the question indeed

Anita Marie
( or is it? )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home