Thursday, August 11, 2005

Tour of Mistra (Mystra or Mystras), Ancient Greece



Ravens, horses, hiking boots or fingers will take you to this tantalizing place recommended by the Enchantress: Mistra, Mystra, or Mystras is an old Byzantine wonder near Sparta. It is completely deserted and the grounds overgrown with grass. Some of the climbs are steep but I am told it is worth your creative waters to explore the old monasteries and homes, the paths, steps and views of this ancient city.
(Search through Google, any of the above names for some amazing sights for sore, tired eyes and souls....Imogen Crest, Hermit.)

4 Comments:

At 4:40 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I spent idyllic hours clambering amid these ancient ruins. Alas, when I photograph something it just looks like bricks so my photos were not anything spectacular. However, the energy I infused while there has never left me.

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

What was it like seeing all the buildings were deserted? The whole thing has got me very intrigued...

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Well you know the place did not feel deserted. It was weird really. We wandered in and out of buildings and it felt a bit like Goldilocks intruding when someone was not at home. The place is overgrown now but this just adds to the atmosphere. The climbs are very steep and I chose to spend a quiet half hour writing while Darryl walked right down to the bottom. I didn't get a whole lot of writing done - indeed I never wrote as much as I thought I would throughout the whole trip. But memories have been indelibly etched and they keep popping up, like this, all the time.

What I did think about at the time was how precarious our cities are and how they too could become a ruin for people to wander through one day. Maybe someone will walk through this very house, where I now sit writing and wonder about who lived here.

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Would love to hear what you wrote while there....it just really intrigues me, the stories...was it a home for nature, that is, is that why it didn't feel empty??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home