Monday, May 08, 2006

Late arrival

Although I try to hide the fact I am not really much of a traveller. Given the choice I would much rather sit at home and read or craft or even - and I blush to admit this - play jigsaws and sudoku online. But, the idea of this journey intrigued me, and I decided to throw caution to the wind, put on my walking shoes, and set off in this direction.

I sit in the ruins awhile. I love ruined buildings, relics of previous generations, fingerprints of the past. My favourite ruins are those of old abbeys and here in England we have spectacular ruins. If you check them online you will understand the fascination they hold for me. My own favourite ruin is Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire, standing in beautiful grounds, white stone originally constructed a thousand or more years ago. There is a feeling of something sacred in the space where worship has been conducted for so long, even though I myself do not worship in a conventional way. I love old churches for the same reason, and even the plain unadorned rooms used by Quakers. I like t0 " worship" in places of natural beauty where I feel in touch with the spirit of the earth, Gaia if you will, for that is where my heart soars in rapture.

Whilst sitting in the ruins I contemplate the reason for this journey. It has been my unspoken desire to write for so many years. I have so many stories to tell, but they are not fantastic stories, they are stories about my life. Sometimes they are sad, sometimes they are humourous, always they are about the battle I have had with a difficult and sad childhood. Maybe on this journey I can find a voice with which I can tell my story - that is what I am hoping to do anyway!!

For today, though, a short poem will have to suffice.



I watch the sun go down
drowning in a crimson sea
Late gulls wheel in the air,
calling with melancholy voices.

The light fades, the air chills
I shiver slightly, lean back against the old stone,
and listen to the breathing tide -
hush shush hush shush.

I may sleep on the beach tonight
Safe with you by my side
Your face turns to mine, luminous with love.
I glow in its light.

2 Comments:

At 4:10 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Feel alone no more! I know trillions of people who play suduko online and jigsaws! If you like your own company, this journey is valuable. Ruins of Churches of any kind draw me, and I love the simplicity of shaker style as well. Actually, I just love ruins. There is so much in the world. A matter of choosing what is right for you. After all, the path is to the authentic self, isn't it?

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I have been to Fountain Abbey and can appreciate fully your feelings about these beautiful ruins. Our visit to Fountain Abbey was an utter highlight of our time in Yorkshire. A friend showed me a photograph she had taken of her daughter in front of a ruined church here in Melbourne and it was simply magical. I loved all the old ruins and the ones in France were to die for too. Old abbeys! Swoon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home