Friday, November 10, 2006

Daphnia - a new Sparrowgirl Story

Just finished this one today.

daphnias

Excerpt:
After we had moved to our second apartment in Hoogvliet, and my father had finished his studies, we suddenly started collecting pets. We had a dog, Cerbie (Cerberus) since I was about two, a half chow half wolf puppy, ferocious to others but my very best friend. Dogs are the sort of friends only children value above all others. I could dress him up in clothes or endlessly throw the ball or a stick. Because of his fierce loyalty to my well being I could go anywhere in the neighbourhood if I took the dog. The dog was a given, he was family, not really a pet.

What was new was my father's self indulgence of collecting up birds and fish. The first bird was Oliver a handed down canary my dad brought home from work one day (for mom, said he, but...), It was a lovely yellow bird with a ring of black around his little head like the hairlines of a Franciscan monk.

Read the whole story at www.sparrows.wordpress.com or http://aletta.org/Sparrowweb20.shtml

1 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

These are always great stories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home