Friday, May 12, 2006

Long Underwear

Long underwear made with cotton
stretches
mine has enough wool mixed in
to scratch

I fold the edges tight
make a long pleat from knee to ankle

I roll the sock with care
tighten a garter until the elastic snaps
(Why do garters always lose the rubber buttons--either that
or the buttons grow hard with heat of washing
and let my stockings slip
into my moccasins)

I know the underwear shows
through my stockings--embarrassed--I strip
to nude
roll my underwear
into a ball
chuck it into the back of the cupboard
It is much better to freeze
than go to school
exposed

2 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

What fun Fran. You are such a delight darling. I have told you that lately haven't I? A big hug for you.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Intriguing! Yes, the peer group thing was important.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home