Friday, May 12, 2006

Warning!



For my performance I have decided to wear my gorgeous purple hat
and recite my favourite poem by Jenny Joseph
Warning!
When I Am An Old Woman
I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me,
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens.
And learn to spit!

6 Comments:

At 6:02 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

All the things I love to do. Cool!

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

I have always loved this piece.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

How freeing that is! Three cheers for individualism!

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Fran said...

You lot are all young, if you like purple hats as much as I do why wait? (I had to wait until the red hair faded.) Cheers, the crone

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Fran said...

You lot are all young, if you like purple hats as much as I do why wait? (I had to wait until the red hair faded.) Cheers, the crone

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Oh Fran, the red hair is fading fast here - I'm already an old woman and I've actually finally made the momentous decision to let the grey take over this year.
Of course, I may yet dye it purple, a la Billy Connelly's beard (no, not MY beard!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home