Thursday, June 01, 2006

Dolphin Dreams

This was written last year and was posted before. Monika’s Tea With Sea Maidens reminded me of it so I post it here again.

Dolphin Dreams

Slicing through the water like a sharpened knife.
My legs clasped around your smooth and graceful belly,
arms forward of your dorsal fin.
Lovers in these restless waters,
moving together in perfect unison.
We feel the power of the ocean,
I feel the power of you.

I am naked as are you, as nature intended us to be.
You are suited to spend your life
forever swimming these salty seas.
We break the surface in a shower of sunlit jewels
and soar into an arc of perfect symmetry,
Then, like an arrow,
we slice the surface with barely a ripple to mark our passage.
You dive and I'm with you.
You crest and I am there.
We are lovers rising,
aiming for the sun,
but returning as you must to inner space.

We skim the surface,
playful now
as we speed toward the shore,
where you gently lay me down
on a warm and sandy beach.
"Don't go," I cry
as you swiftly swim away.
"I want to stay with you forever,
be your mate, share your aquatic realm.
But, you are gone and I'm left
tethered to the land,
but hoping,
always hoping,
that someday you will return
to take me with you,
to live forever
in your changing,
restless palace of the deep."

Vi Jones
©June 1, 2006

3 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

This is just wonderful, Vi.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Have always loved the lyrical quality of this poem Vi.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Believer said...

You've captured the magical quality of these creatures and our longing to know them better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home