Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Doom's Day

Just down the street
is an old people’s home,
an institutional trap.
It is not for the injured,
the bleeding, or bent,
but for those who are guilty
of a most terrible fault—
Their sin is old age.
They are captives of time
brought here to rot,
to be out of the way.
They’re a burden on young ones
who come just to stay
for a moment or two
on some rainy day.

A face at the window,
a lady so tiny and frail…
with eyes hauntingly sad,
who slowly retreats
into the gloom
of her dismal room.

Along comes a hearse
and parks right outside,
a sign of finality
for all who reside,
inside.
Out comes the litter
with its burden so cold.
Another face and a tear
at the door.

Perhaps some day
not too distant and far,
I’ll be brought to this place
and led through the door.
I’ll shout and I’ll scream,
I’ll kick and I’ll struggle—
my captors will smile,
“It’s all for the best,”
they will say.

I beg of you now,
don’t let them take me.
My life will be nothing
if I am not free.
When I can no longer
take care of myself,
I beg of you, please,
take me into the wilds
and then leave.
Let me drop out
as one from the herd.
Let me make peace
within the sound of a bird.
The last thing I’ll see,
if you will allow,
will be mountains and forests,
perhaps a deer or two,
and an eagle to guide me.
I’ll think of my friends
and my family, too.
I’ll think of those
I am leaving behind, and
those who have gone.
This is my wish …
my rightful direction.

Vi Jones
©January 24, 2006

4 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Vi, this is so honest and powerful. No, no-one would ever let this happen to you. Besides, you are a resident of the Hermitage and they don't do that stuff here! The trees will hold you dreaming:-)

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I will go to the home if... I have a private room with space for a desk, some books and my computer - with ADSL link up of course. Then I will still be able to stay on at Rivesleigh until I die and even then, my spirit will wander around the old place annoying people.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Thank you, Imogen. And Le Enchanteur, I bet you would conjour mischief enough to drive those folks batty.

Vi

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Hello Vi,

Two thoughts. You definitely hit a nerve. If I have a choice, at home or outside under a tree, please. I'm writing a novel called The Home--not quite as serious as it sounds, but one character keeps wandering off for all the reasons in your poem.

Second thought is more positive. I searched for birthday twins once and got a couple who were exact (month, date, year) and also a wonderful woman who was born on my birth date and was over 90. She was in pretty good shape so she read and wrote letters for others. She made crafts to help raise money for the care center and was a delight to correspond with.

I think we all hope and pray we won't grow too old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home