Sunday, November 06, 2005

Pondering

HOUSE LOST

I never used to think of houses lost,
condemned to destruction by abuse
of occupants out of step with neighborhoods;
or abandoned --
ever lonely eyes of broken glass,
to memories of better times.

Somehow we always blame or fear
the house …
never heard of a haunted home.

"Just look at that eyesore …
peeling paint and won-out weeds,
and sagging porch and three leg rocker."

'course I ventured,

"imagine the folks inside …
abandoned hopes and shattered dreams,
weary bodies and crippled spirits."

"Na -- nobody lives there anymore!"

Well, I whistle when I pass …
a merry tune -- just because I can --
just in case there is really
a home inside,
or ever was.

2 Comments:

At 3:05 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I love the words "never heard of a haunted home". It's true and the houses don't do anything, do they? Interesting writing.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

These are nice Lois, proof of how important home is. I have this book, the generous gift of a very good friend. I've also got a book by M.K. Fisher. You always post such interesting things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home