Sunday, November 06, 2005

Pondering

HOUSE LOST

I never used to think of houses lost,
condemned to destruction by abuse
of occupants out of step with neighborhoods;
or abandoned --
ever lonely eyes of broken glass,
to memories of better times.

Somehow we always blame or fear
the house …
never heard of a haunted home.

"Just look at that eyesore …
peeling paint and won-out weeds,
and sagging porch and three leg rocker."

'course I ventured,

"imagine the folks inside …
abandoned hopes and shattered dreams,
weary bodies and crippled spirits."

"Na -- nobody lives there anymore!"

Well, I whistle when I pass …
a merry tune -- just because I can --
just in case there is really
a home inside,
or ever was.

3 Comments:

At 3:05 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I love the words "never heard of a haunted home". It's true and the houses don't do anything, do they? Interesting writing.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Lois said...

I found these
in Sarah Ban Breathnachs "Simple Abundance".

"Home is the heart of life...Home is where we feel at ease,where we belong,where we can create surroundings that reflect our tastes and pleasures....Making a home is a form of creativity open to anyone... - Terence Conran-.

Cooking for Comfort...
"It seems to me that our three basic needs ,for food and security and love...are so entwined that we cannot think of one without the other"
M.F.K. Fisher
"The Hungry Soul"
I cannot count the good people I know who to my mind would be even better if they bent their spirits to the study of their own hungers
M.K.Fisher.
( from "How to cook a Wolf"
New York: Duell,Sloan & Pearce 1942.

The Discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of the soul than the discovery of a new star...
Jean Anthelme Brillat-
Savarin.

Just a few jottings on HOME
Lois (Muse of the Sea) 7.11.05

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

These are nice Lois, proof of how important home is. I have this book, the generous gift of a very good friend. I've also got a book by M.K. Fisher. You always post such interesting things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home