Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Spring is in the Air

I love Spring
I love the buds on all in the garden plants and in
the parks the Poplars .
Their new shoots like green arrows
They seem to be stretching toward the sky
to salute the changes in their limbs.

My park has Lombardy Poplars,
planted there in 1928
Over many years they have been pruned
Badly ,very badly,quite disastrous pruning
And as my frind Angie and I walked this morning
They were there again " Those Abourists"

We tried to keep calm ,we tried to be pleasant
we tried not to sound know-alls we really did try
2 young men names on their overalls COPP. Arbourist
Mark F. and Dwayne E.
We asked the question.....WHY are you cutting off those branches now at this time of the year
Their answer " They are across the path they might fall on someone:" The council can be sued for millions.
These trees are meant to have cascading limbs

We advised them that a meeting on the 20th of September
with the MAYOR of the City of Port Phillip and we concerned residents
was to ratify the Heritage Listing of the Park and the TREES as well
They knew nothing of this meeting ,they had not heard of it from
their supervisor who would also be at that meeting.

They then left the park after Angie had quoted where these(Using the Botanical name)
trees come from,and that they are not even in the Heritage listed Melbourne Botanical Gardens.
I came home and opened up my computer
Sent them an email as to the details of the meeting on the 20th
Perhaps I should not have done this ,going over the head of their boss
But too late its done
Lois you are sometimes,perhaps,only perhaps
HOT HEADED.....
Think Girl,think before acting emotionally.

I open up Imogen's site at the Hermitage
and look at her beautiful photos
and I am calmed
Do these 2 young men see trees in the same way
I doubt it...but I am open to my mind being changed

Lois (Muse of the Sea)31st August 2006.

4 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Lois, you must have missed your calling as a reporter. Good reading;-)

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

I love you Lois, as you are, hotheaded. The trees need those of us who can and do stand up for them. Let's face it, the whole planet needs our help. Alas there are so few of us and so many of the others, those who either don't know or don't care. There is hope, I think, for those who don't know for they can be educated, but the others, they are, I'm afraid, a lost cause.

Vi

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Agree, Vi;-)

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Never give up, Lois, never never never give up (Winston Churchill said that). How can people be so different? I watched Better Homes and Gardens last night, and the Japanese celebrate when the cherry trees bloom - it's a festival. The trees hang their branches everywhere, over walkways and pathways and no one would dream of trimming them. The glory of the cherry blossom only lasts a few days and everyone turns out to see it, to picnic beneath the blossoms, to enjoy the bounty of nature. It is terrible that we in the west have moved so far away from nature, and act with no understanding of it - Spring has come early in Queensland and it is wonderful to see everything waking up and shaking off winter. My son's lemon tree is covering itself with blossom - so we can look forward to more lemon curd in autumn. I love your writing, Lois, it's so alive to the passage of the seasons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home