Wednesday, October 26, 2005

TREE OF LETTERS

I waited long to hear the knock at the door
They did not come
I waited to hear the telephone ring ding a ling ring
But it was silent
I watched for the postman to leave a letter
But the letter box stayed empty
I saw them once long ago
I waved and called out
They did not acknowledge me
So I took to writing letters to myself
I posted them off, and they returned days later
I liked what I had written to myself
It made a lot of sense
I told myself I was a good person , a good friend, a good Mother
A good wife, a good Daughter, a good worker
And you know I liked what I had written to myself
And you know 10 years has passed since I wrote to myself
And as I re read those letters I like what I wrote to Lois
And Lois I am sure likes what I wrote.

Memories of a soul once broken
memories of a soul now plowed and tilled to perfection
It was there not lost , and I did seek it, and found it in one
piece unscathed and content
It dwells in this place I call mine.

Lois (Muse of the Sea) 26-10-05

5 Comments:

At 4:50 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Oh Lois, you have made me misty. There is so much here...such an original idea. So wonderful to write letters to yourself and read them later to find you were absolutely wonderful after all. I don't know what else to say. This was just lovely and misty.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Oh, Lois, this is so beautiful. It brought a lump to my throat. What a great idea for a lonely or heart broken person. Receiving letter from that deeper someone proves that we are never totally alone ... we have ourselves and we need to take care of us.

Vi

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Lois said...

Thank you Imogen,
Thank you Fran.
As I have said to MADAME over the years ,her group "Writing for Well Being" (1996) was the start of a new life for me...
She is apt to push it to one side, but I have nearly convinced her.......The story behind the letters written to oneself was hers and hers alone.
I often wondered where letters that did not finish up in the "Dead Letter Office" here in Victoria at Australia Post went to now I know Imogen.....
They are gathered ,loved and held by the
"Tree of Letters"

Lois (Muse of the Sea)27/10/05

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Madam would not like to be too much in the spotlight! It's kind of nice too, that knowing. But she is certainly worthy of it. What a great thing, Lois, to meet the person who is of aid. We meet quite a few who are not over time. Blessings to the ones who care, because they make such a difference to our lives. Feel free to post another letter, Lois, the tree catches them all it seems. Certainly worked for me. I was actually really surprised by the outcome. It seems nothing is ever lost, just wanting recycling.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger le Enchanteur said...

This is a very moving piece Lois. I recall us writing cards and me mailing them some time later so that you would not know when to expect the letter to arrive.

It is quite an experience to have this happen. If anyone wants to put a letter to themselves in a post paid envelope I will send them back at some undetermined date.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home